Skilled Professionals Evaluation Committee
The Skilled Professionals Evaluation Committee (SPEC) evaluates the need for professionals in Fiji. It was formed from the Registration of Skilled Professionals Act (‘Act’) commenced on 21 March 2016. The Act allows for, and created an avenue to, fast-track and provide a separate application process for the skilled professionals Fiji needs. It is an enabling law that allows Fijians to have access to professions that we do not have in Fiji.
There are no strict eligibility requirements. Any skilled person can apply, so long as their skills are sufficiently scarce within Fiji.
Part 3 of the Act allows individuals to make application in writing to the Committee for special registration for the following:
- A permit to enter, reside and work, reside and work or work in Fiji; and
- Registration or licensing or both, as the case may be, with the relevant professional body, if applicable.
The application must be complete and accompanied by a prescribed fee.
Upon receipt of a complete application, the Committee must within 28 days:
- Assess the application, including any supporting documentation, and determine whether the individual is a skilled professional;
- Determine whether it is in the public interest for the applicant to be employed in Fiji as a skilled professional; and
- Approve or reject the application.
Once the Committee decides to approve an application, in accordance with Section 10(1) the Committee should in writing give a directive to:
- The Director of Immigration to issue to the applicant, within 2 days, a permit to enter, reside, reside and work or work in Fiji; and
- The relevant professional body, if any, to issue, upon payment of the relevant fee by the applicant, a certificate of registration or license or both, subject to terms and conditions as the Committee considers necessary.
The applicant can appeal the decision of the Committee, all appeals need to be made to the Hon. Prime Minister in writing, within 20 working days of the decision of the Committee.
Skilled Professionals Evaluation Committee Statistics Update for Website
The below table shows the breakdown of applications received thus far since the implementation of the Registration of the Skilled Professionals Act 2016.
Applications by Sectors
The below table and graph shows the breakdown of applications received for the various sectors and professions. The highest number of applications received is from the Pharmaceutical sector.
Applications for 2018 – 2019
The below table shows the total number of applications received during the 2018-2019 financial year.
Applications for 2017 – 2018