Micro Small Business Grants
The Micro Small Business Grant (MSBG) Scheme was launched by the Hon. Prime Minister on 7 July 2015. The grants in form of cheques are authorized on the name of the suppliers from where the recipients are planning to source their items such as tools, building and fencing materials, farm equipment’s, purchase of goods or any other supplies. The Scheme is an initiative designed to provide grants for start-up and assistance to new and existing micro and small businesses, of up to $1,000.
The grant is targeted at individuals who have particular skill sets, such as, handicrafts, fruit and vegetable sellers, farming and handicrafts, to name a few. Beneficiaries of this scheme will be able to use the funds to overcome barriers in starting up new businesses or to boost their existing businesses. It is also a platform for businesses to secure funding from mainstream financial institutions, like the Fiji Development Bank (FDB) and other Commercial Banks.
The MSBG Facility is part of the Fijian Government’s overall commitment to reducing poverty through capital injection into micro and small businesses and business and entrepreneurial skills development.
- Open to all Fijians 18 years and above.
- Available for Start-up and Existing micro and small businesses.
- Preference is given to businesses with an annual sales turnover of $30,000 or less with employees of 1-5 individuals.
- Not a current recipient of a similar government scheme
- Past and immediate family members of the recipient of this grant need not apply, as the Ministry will only consider new applicants.
- Not an employee of the Fiji Civil ServiceCompliance – must have a valid business license.
- Provide valid photo ID (Voter ID, FNPF/FRCA Card/ Driver’s License)
Applications are currently closed. Invitations for expressions of interest in the programme will be advertised when it re-opens.
This section will be finalised upon the next round of invitations for expression of interest in the programme.
Since the launch of the programme in July 2015, until the most recent survey (November 2018), 36,392 Fijians have benefitted from the MSBG programmes. These recipients have had a success rate of approximately 80%.