Young Entrepreneurship Scheme
The Young Entrepreneurship Scheme (YES) is to stimulate employment generation by encouraging Fijian youths to become job creators rather than job seekers, which in turn lead to an increase in new and innovative products and services that meet international standards and can compete globally.
The primary objective of YES is to provide immediate assistance in the form of grants to young and budding entrepreneurs who have innovative and bankable ideas/projects which financial institutions are not willing to support due to lack of collateral. This will partly address the market failure where financial institutions are reluctant to provide start-up capital to young entrepreneurs.
This YES Program also promote the adoption of eco-friendly and sustainable business practices that respect the environment and adheres to relevant laws and regulations.
Successful young aspiring entrepreneurs are being provided with business training and mentorship to enable them to operate financially viable businesses.
- Open to all young Fijians between the ages of 18 to 30 years.
- Must have completed a vocational/technical diploma or a degree from a recognized institution.
- Must be a Fijian Citizen.
- Must have an Innovative/Unique Business Idea.
Grant Funding Eligibility (depending on the nature of request):
- Full funding;
- Partially funding; and/or
- Equity for loans.
General Criteria Used to Assess Applications:
- Innovative ideas, products or services that contribute to achieving the vision of transitioning Fiji towards a knowledge-based and modern society;
- Initiatives that lead to employment creation particularly in the rural and maritime regions;
- Businesses that improve the standards of living and overall welfare of all Fijians;
- Projects that will enhance the reputation of Fiji in the international fora;
- Ventures that have a social dimension that support the economic empowerment of women, and persons with disabilities; and
- Enterprises that have strong backward and forward linkages that support other sectors of the Fijian economy.
- Immediate family members of the staff of the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- Employees of the Fijian Civil Service.
- Preferably have done some basic business training/seminars/workshop; however further support in this area will be provided by the Ministry if required.
Terms & Conditions
- Successful applicants will be required to adhere to the conditions of the grant funding set by the Ministry.
- Must have a current Bank account.
- Up to $20,000 per proposal per person/start-up.
- The Ministry will be responsible for the assessment of all applications, and approvals will be made by the Selection Panel with the final endorsement by the Permanent Secretary and Minister for Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- Business Mentoring, Monitoring and Evaluation will be conducted by the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
This page will outline the steps which you will take in order to apply for the YES.
You can apply in the following ways: